Friday 29 October 2010

Mountain biking in East Timor

East Timor’s tourist agency is trying hard to market the country as a haven for mountain bikers, and doing a pretty good job of it. This year’s Tour de Timor was a resounding success, and hopefully the event will get bigger and better in years to come. I only wish I had arrived here a few months earlier so I could have participated!

I’ve only been here a few weeks but have already managed to borrow a bike from my boss Dinesh and have done a few rides with him. He’s been here for five years so knows some excellent routes. The country is pretty hilly, so most routes involve cycling up a long steep road being overtaken by crammed mikrolets (minibuses), then coming back down a rocky off-road track at high speed.

I hope to do a lot more riding, but it’s going to get harder and harder as the annual rains intensify over the next few weeks. This tends to destroy a lot of the roads, and turn the tracks into mudbaths. Anyway, here are a few photos of rides so far…



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Ian, keep the updates coming! Hope you won't be too tormented by the rains and the mozzies that accompany them...

    I'm keeping your desk nice and tidy for you.

    Yael

    ReplyDelete